Sunday, November 29, 2009

Casserole and Cake

I'm not sure if it's necessary to mention what kind of casserole this is. And honestly, it's more shepard's pie than casserole, but I just like to call it that. Chopped up aromatic veggies, turkey, the rest of the gravy, some bread crumbs, an egg, and herbs comprise the bottom layer. The top is mashed potatoes with paprika and turmeric. Baked for thirty minutes at 375.

Today is what we refer to as "Clean Out the Fridge" day. We have these every so often to make sure we're not being lazy and using up some perfectly good food. The cake falls under this rubric because it's that awesome yogurt cake but made with sour cream that I wanted to finish up. I also used apricot brandy for the rum, and almond extract for the vanilla. We polished off the apricot brandy last night but not the boozy soaked fruit, so I used them to make a thick sauce for the cake. They weren't very pretty, so I pureed them and added powdered sugar. They had some kick! I made sure to leave the cake plain so the baby could indulge. Cleaning out the fridge (and liquor cabinet) never tasted so good!


P.S. On the cleaning out the fridge line, I also made a Potato, Sauerkraut and Turkey soup. I wasn't looking forward to it, but it ended up being really good. I just sauteed onions and garlic, then added my fresh sauerkraut, a few large potatoes cubed and added water to cover. A bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, three juniper berries, salt and five peppercorns. Fresh parsley at the end. Not a bad left over soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment