Monday, November 15, 2010

Jelly Roll and Fruit Bars

It's pretty much the most obvious thing ever, isn't it? But a jelly roll is a great way to use up all those jars of jelly I make. However, in this cake I didn't use jelly. I used a great strawberry rhubarb sauce. It was delicious with a dollop of crème fraîche. I used a recipe for angel food cake jelly roll in the Joy of Cooking. I can justify it by all the eggs we get from the chickens. I have to do something with them!


And then there's fruit bars. I don't know about you, but I seem to go through a lot of these. I buy a great deal of them, but that's because I wouldn't be able to keep up with a certain toddler's hunger for them. These are like homemade fig newtons, but the filling is elderberry-apple sauce. The sauce was basically the leftover pulp from elderberry apple jelly I made. I took the pulp, added sugar, and it made a great healthy filling.


The recipe I used was from Linda Ziedrich's The Joy of Jams, Jellies and Other Sweet Preserves. I guess you could say I've got a lot of joy in my kitchen. And you would be right.

10 comments:

  1. You and you creme fraiche, you're making me hungry! But seriously, I gotta cook up some jelly rolls. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to give those fruit bars a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both look great! The Babylady would love it if I made fruit bars. Well, and a jelly roll for that matter! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - I know! Thank god I'm almost done with it! I've got to do a straight up jelly roll, next.

    Allison - I love them!

    Meg - I don't think I shared the jelly roll with the baby. I'm not a nice Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow. Rebecca (from Cakewalk)is right. These look like they'd be awesome filled with figs! Love, love, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I miss the you posting recipe somewhere for your fig newton shell? I want to gluten-free-ify them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate - I didn't post it! It is in Linda Ziedrich's Joy of Jams, Jellies, etc. In the fig section. I can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So what is the recipe for the roll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I got the jelly roll recipe from Joy of Cooking. I'm sure there are a bunch on the interwebs that could help you, too! Thanks for the visit, Julia

      Delete